Friday, October 21, 2005

Bob Dylan Masters of War 1963


I am in Italy and last night I was invited over to some friends house for dinner. After dinner they proceeded to put on some music. The guy had an amazing collection! Here he is at 30 years old with Every single Bob Dylan, Donavan, Johnny Cash and more CD's. He had over 1000 CD's mostly 60's American Music.

This is music that I am not used to hearing, that I really know nothing about and the guys started talking about this and that, where the song was written, when and with whom. It took me to an American evening in the 60's while I was sitting in a living room in Italy .
This is a time in our history, where people stood up, I mean really stood up against WAR. What we did in America in the 60's took an effect on the world. The Italians know the songs, and they remember. Now, they wonder WHY aren't we doing it again?
I listened to the lyrics, all of love, peace and no war. I started to wonder on the same thing. I wonder what has happened to our country and our people. Our expenses greatly surpass our income to the point that we cannot take care of ourselves. Our children are without shelter and food, families are sleeping in the streets without the hope of finding a job because corporate America is taking the work to other countries and paying slave labor to cut down on expenses.
How long will we sit down and remain silent? What happened to our fighting spirit?s
I learned more about our past last night, than I have when I lived there! Here is a lyric from a Bob Dylan Song: Masters of
War 1963
Come you masters of war You that build all the guns You that build the death planes You that build the big bombs You that hide behind walls You that hide behind desks I just want you to know I can see through your masks   You that never done nothin' But build to destroy You play with my world Like it's your little toy You put a gun in my hand And you hide from my eyes And you turn and run farther When the fast bullets fly   Like Judas of old You lie and deceive A world war can be won You want me to believe But I see through your eyes And I see through your brain Like I see through the water That runs down my drain   You fasten the triggers For the others to fire Then you set back and watch When the death count gets higher You hide in your mansion As young people's blood Flows out of their bodies And is buried in the mud   You've thrown the worst fear That can ever be hurled Fear to bring children Into the world For threatening my baby Unborn and unnamed You ain't worth the blood That runs in your veins   How much do I know To talk out of turn You might say that I'm young You might say I'm unlearned But there's one thing I know Though I'm younger than you Even Jesus would never Forgive what you do   Let me ask you one question Is your money that good Will it buy you forgiveness Do you think that it could I think you will find When your death takes its toll All the money you made Will never buy back your soul   And I hope that you die And your death'll come soon I will follow your casket In the pale afternoon And I'll watch while you're lowered Down to your deathbed And I'll stand o'er your grave 'Til I'm sure that you're dead

No comments:

Post a Comment