Friday, October 21, 2005

The 1960's and Now: Bob Dylan: The Masters of War

I am in Italy and last night I was invited over to some friends house for dinner. After dinner they proceeded to put on some music. The guy had an amazing collection! Here he is at 30 years old with Every single Bob Dylan, Donavan, Johnny Cash and more CD’s. He had over 1000 CD’s mostly 60’s American Music.

This is music that I am not used to hearing, that I really know nothing about and the guys started talking about this and that, where the song was written, when and with whom. It took me to an American evening in the 60’s while I was sitting in a living room in Italy.

This is a time in our history, where people stood up, I mean really stood up against WAR. What we did in America in the 60’s took an effect on the world. The Italians know the songs, and they remember. Now, they wonder WHY aren’t we doing it again?

I listened to the lyrics, all of love, peace and no war. I started to wonder on the same thing. I wonder what has happened to our country and our people. Our expenses greatly surpass our income to the point that we cannot take care of ourselves. Our children are without shelter and food, families are sleeping in the streets without the hope of finding a job because corporate America is taking the work to other countries and paying slave labor to cut down on expenses.

How long will we sit down and remain silent? What happened to our fighting spirit?s

I learned more about our past last night, than I have when I lived there! Here is a lyric from a Bob Dylan Song: Masters of War 1963
Come you masters of warYou that build all the guns
You that build the death planes
You that build the big bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to knowI can see through your masks
You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my worldLike it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly Like Judas of oldY
ou lie and deceive
A world war can be won
You want me to believe
But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the water
That runs down my drain
You fasten the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
As young people's bloodFlows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud
You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring childrenInto the world
For threatening my babyUnborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins
How much do I knowTo talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
Even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do
Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could
I think you will find
When your death takes its toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul
And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead

No comments:

Post a Comment