Friday, November 27, 2009

The definition of Insanity is when a person keeps doing the same thing...


29 Days until Christmas....
The definition of insanity is when a person keeps doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Now, it has been said that the genius Albert said these words, and it has been said that Benjamin Franklin and then some others think that it came from Rita Brown who wrote, "Insanity is when you keep doing the same things expecting different results".

Psychologist say, "Insanity is defined as repeating the same behavior and expecting a different result".

Notice the difference between doing the same thing and the key word of behavior. There is a big difference between doing the same thing and repeating the same behavior. Doing something is resubmitting the same manuscript to a publisher over and over and over again, not giving up until some kind and gentle publisher decides to give your book a try. Or submitting articles over and over and over again until that magazine decides to open their eyes to you. What would happen if we thought, "Oh, I cannot do the same thing the same way because then I would be insane" Can you imagine how many musicians, painters, writers and artists would not have been known about if they decided to try many ways to go about sharing their talent with the world, and then later giving up?

Sometimes, there is only one way to go about things, like publishing for example. If we gave up, and did not persivere what would happen to our passions and dreams? What would happen to our soul if we compromised ourselves with the thought that we must be insane if we kept trying.

I feel as though I am insane many time, under this definition. For years, I wrote and took photographs of war, oppression, hunger, poverty, desperate people, madness, bombs, tears, displaced people, ripped apart cities, and angry politicians. Why did I do such a thing? Because it was important for me to share the reality of war and conflict. To help get others to see how horrible it really is, how much money is spent on this and how few people get wealthy from the production of war. Why? Because, I could not keep quiet and the main stream media was not reflecting the reality from the ground. I did not give up and as far as I could see there was only one way of doing things and that was to be there. Did it make a difference? I do not know. Did the articles and images that I shared create peace? No. But I kept on trying.

Was this insane? Sometimes I thought so, but for artists, we have to create our passions. We must generate our product otherwise, we will really go insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment